This publication provides a comprehensive set of safety and operating guidelines to address the multiple hazards associated with the operation of small scale hydrogen production plants. It applies to small hydrogen production units (thermal and electrolytic) that are sited at chemical or refinery plants, as well as those units that are sited at vehicle fueling stations or transfer facilities.
The thermal hydrogen production methods covered in this guideline are methanol cracking and steam methane reforming although some of the guidelines provided can apply to other thermal-based hydrogen production technologies.
This publication provides the following information for the end user, whether an experienced industrial user or a first-time industrial or commercial user:
• best practices for operation of small scale units;
• simplified process descriptions;
• guidance on siting of small scale units, including when next to other flammable material sources. Issues of area classification and vapor cloud explosion (VCE) will be discussed;
• guidelines for how small scale production facilities will interface with a co-located bulk storage facility with compression and high-pressure storage as well as liquid back-up storage and the associated vaporization equipment; and
• high level concerns associated with startup, shutdown, and maintenance.